Career Opportunity – Housing Specialist (Full Time)
The mission of Brookview House is to help families experiencing homelessness to develop the skills and attitude necessary to break the generational cycle of homelessness and poverty.
Provide case management and housing advocacy for all participants. Assist with the housing application process. Make referrals to appropriate agencies and programs. Provide educational programs to participants. Work collaboratively with facility staff to ensure the facilities are well maintained and meet all applicable standards, regulations and laws.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: (Not inclusive)
- Assist participants with applications to housing agencies and housing programs.
- Provide case management and housing search (monitor, tracking, follow up).
- Establish linkages and act as liaison to housing agencies and programs.
- Develop and facilitate housing related workshops with participants.
- Educate participants on eligibility, housing, availability, client rights, Credit/CORI.
- Assist participants in permanent housing with landlord tenant issues.
- Submit annual reports to Boston Housing Authority (BHA) and other housing agencies and funders (FHLB, etc.).
- Data tracking, reporting and analysis of outcome measures.
- Interface with and coordinate services with involved service providers (internal and external).
- Attend Case Conference meetings.
- Assist with management for Brookview House facilities including conducting unit inspections, coordinating preventative, routine and emergency maintenance needs (within the approved budget), conducting inventory and other duties as assigned.
- Participate in 24 hour on-call system
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associates with a minimum of three years relevant experience preferred.
- Fluency in English and Spanish required.
- Must be familiar with the impact of homelessness, substance abuse, and domestic violence issues.
- Experience working with and advocating for low-income families.
- Demonstrated group facilitation skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in advocacy and mediation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient in MS Office and ability to quickly become proficient with other software programs including database software.
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
- Must be available to participate in 24 hour on-call system.
Please email cover letter and resume to: Careeropportunities@brookviewhouse.org
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
The Development Associate is responsible for all administrative aspects of development, marketing and public relations activities at Brookview House. S/he h plays a key role in coordinating and organizing all related activities and providing administrative and logistical support to the Chief Development Officer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Providing support to the Chief Development Officer including scheduling meetings, attending meetings, making telephone calls / emails; preparing agendas and meeting minutes, etc.
- Preparing acknowledgement letters and other correspondence
- Maintaining accurate comprehensive databases for grants, donors, potential donors, volunteers and events; producing assigned reports
- Assistance with the volunteer program
- Conducting and managing a strategic grant research and analysis process to identify prospective funding opportunities
- Producing well-written summaries of current and prospective public / private funders and partners
- Conducting research for funding proposals and marketing activities
- Producing and updating calendars to include proposal deadlines, reporting due dates, grant requirements, site visits, events and other relevant activities and communicating this information to relevant staff in a timely manner
- Producing well-written grant reports
- Preparing media materials and donor events and meetings
- Coordinating and assisting with all aspects of appeals and events
- Coordinating and preparing for site visits
- Participating in the agency and program evaluation process including tracking and measuring outcomes
Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Two years relevant experience required. Excellent research, writing and critical thinking skills, with the ability to comprehend and synthesize information across multiple sources. Excellent communication skills. Ability to work independently and collaboratively, manage details across multiple projects, and consistently meet deadlines. Proficient in MS Office and ability to quickly become proficient with other software programs including databases. Experience with Raiser’s Edge strongly preferred. Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed. Must be fluent in English. Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle required.
Title: Community Advocacy Specialist
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
The Community Advocacy Specialist is on-site at various locations in the community providing crisis intervention, advocacy, information and referrals to survivors of domestic violence. Locations typically include local courts, health centers and community centers, as well as the agency’s main office and its residential programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide crisis intervention, danger assessment, safety planning, emotional support and advocacy for survivors of domestic and dating violence.
- At local district courts in Boston, provides advocacy and assistance for survivors of domestic violence seeking restraining orders.
- At local community-based health centers, provides culturally competent, trauma-informed services to survivors of domestic violence.
- At all sites in the community, provides referrals to comprehensive supportive services at Brookview House and at other human services/social service agencies as appropriate. May accompany survivors to meeting and appointments.
- Develops, promotes and facilitates support groups for at locations in the community.
- Provides individual counseling, possibly in other languages using translators as needed.
- Maintains a comprehensive list of referrals and relationships with community groups, organizations, advocates, and government to facilitate advocacy and referrals.
- Maintains current and accurate records of services, updating database information and preparing periodic reports as needed.
- Participates in case conferences and agency meetings as needed.
- Represents the agency at meetings with community collaborators and at other events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Committed to Brookview’s philosophy, and promoting social justice and social change
- BA in Social Work, Counseling, Psychology, Public Health, Human Services or equivalent with a minimum of 3 years of experience working as an advocate with individuals and groups.
- In lieu of a degree 4-5 years of experience working as an advocate with individuals and groups.
- Excellent supportive listening skills.
- Demonstrated cultural competence with diverse ethnic, cultural and socio-economic groups, as well as diversity based on ability/disability, sexual orientation, and religion.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize appropriate communication techniques when responding to callers that shows sensitivity to the caller’s needs.
- Ability to interact with participants in a non-judgmental manner.
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks and job sites; ability to work independently and in a team.
- Strong organization skills
- Maintains professional boundaries at all times.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding program participants
- Familiarity with community agencies and resources serving homeless and/or low-income populations.
- Bi-lingual/bi-cultural preferred
- Ability to travel throughout Boston required; driver’s license and car highly desirable
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends when needed.
Send resumes to: CareerOpportunities@brookviewhouse.org or Brookview House, 2 Brookview Street Dorchester, MA 02124